Saturday, August 06, 2005

A child's perspective of time

Sometimes, I have to wonder how deep the soul of a child can go. On turning 5 last week, Noah ripped open his present from us and gleefully screamed the following to all within earshot:
I've wanted this for my whole, entire life!
Almost instantly, my concept of time through his eyes changed. No, he had not literally been waiting for a LeapPad since the day he was born. But his use of the phrase suggested he was - and is - starting to view time in a whole new, and very adult-like, manner. Yet another milestone of growing up has been passed.

Your turn: Kids really do say the darndest things. What notable quotes have you heard from our planet's little people?

7 comments:

Leanne said...

Last evening I was visiting with my best friend and my godson and he calls me Auntie Peapanne, he walked up to me gave me a kiss goodnight and looked at my belly and said "Baby Pan Auntie Peapanne?" I love the perspective of a 2 year old. It made my heart jump a beat.

Christine said...

I try to keep track of all the cute/funny things my kids say, but one that comes to mind on reading your post is how when she doesn't get her way, or is having a hard time with something, she will come out with "It's *hard* being 4!"

If she only knew how great she has it! :)

Happy Birthday Noah!!!

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

My nephew, aged about 4: I'm feeling sorry for myself.
Me (concerned): Why's that, then?
Nephew (looking at me as if I'm a halfwit): Because nobody else is feeling sorry for me, of course!

Wilson Clan said...

My 14 year old cousin baby sat his younger siblings for a day while mom worked. When she got him, he told her, "Thank God you're home. Now I know why so many moms are alcoholics."

I don't know how accurate that is.. lol but I'm glad he now knows how hard it is.

Beanhead said...

My kids are always saying things that make me chuckle.

Anonymous said...

One I always remember and that makes me laugh again every spring was my cousin, when she was little she asked me what kind of flowers were in the front yard and I said "Tulips"

She looked at the petals and shook her head and said, "No, I think these are three-lips."

Anonymous said...

One of my favourites from my daughter, when she was 6.

We were playing a bedtime game about how much we loved each other. She told me she loved me to the moon and back....but sometimes, when I made her mad, she only loved me to the park.