Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Publish Day - Ink Blog - Our New GG

I thought it might be a good idea to directly post my Ink Blog submissions (see here for an explanation of the concept, and here for the first posting that was published on Tuesday the 24th) to my own blog so y'all wouldn't have to click too much. I also want to see just how deeply I can get under everyone's skin.

Here's what I submitted for Wednesday's paper. I shared my thoughts on the appointment of Michaelle Jean to the position of Canada's Governor-General. This is a largely ceremonial post whereby the GG serves as the Queen's (of England, Lizzie...she of bad hats) representative in Canada. Officially, the GG is our head of state, but the role has no real power.

As always, I had something to say. I hope you'll take the time to share your thoughts with me in a comment (I'll be doing this every day that I publish, so please sharpen your pens now.) Here's what I wrote:
I am disturbed by the media’s feeding frenzy around Michaelle Jean’s appointment as Canada’s next governor-general.

I often wonder if the consistently personal and vitriolic scrutiny would have been as intense if she hadn’t been a foreign-born, French-speaking black woman who also happens to be married to a white Quebecer who may or may not be a separatist sympathizer.

Despite our self-congratulatory speeches on the plurality of Canadian society, we still make life tough on any high-achieving woman who dares to ascend to a high-profile position.

We’re kidding ourselves if we believe that the governor-general’s role has any bearing on the day-to-day lives of Canadians. It doesn’t. It’s possibly the most tangibly pointless job in existence.

But this isn’t about what’s tangible. It’s the symbolism that matters. And Michaelle Jean is symbolic of a Canada that is no longer the exclusive domain of the white, anglophone male.

It’s time to stop whining and let her get on with the job.

-30-

No comments: