Monday, November 21, 2005

Cool shades on warm sand


I look outside the window and see nothing but a steel gray horizon and bare trees. I go outside and draw my coat tighter to ward off the bone-chilling cold that suddenly seems to dominate our days.

As winter begins its descent on this part of the world, I hold onto words and images that remind me of warmer days. It wasn't so long ago that my wife and I watched our kids frolic on the beach, wondering where they got the energy and how we'd be able to perpetuate the magic of days like that for as long as possible.

Hopefully we'll soon be able to give our kids the opportunity to let the warm sand ooze through their toes. Until then, I'll hold onto images like this one to keep the fires burning inside.

About this picture: I took this at the end of a great day at Grand Bend. As we began to pack everything up, I noticed our little guy's shades just sitting on the sand. I liked what I saw, so out came the camera.

Your turn: I hope you'll share a brief story in a comment about what brings you warmth. This time of year seems to be about keeping warm - in body and thoughts - and I'd love to see what y'all do to keep the cold - literal and figurative - at bay.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cooking brings me warmth, literally and figuratively. There's nothing like a gently simmering beef stew loaded with yams, carrots and one sweet onion, to ward off the chilliness of the winter months!

jane said...

How I wish I were looking back at the hotter days of the year. Unfortunately, we've still got warm weather, too warm if you ask me.
I like reading about how you enjoy your family, your kids being little & trying to capture memories.
May you all keep warm

Anonymous said...

Starbucks' peppermint mocha isn't half bad for warming up! Come to think of it, neither is the gingerbread latte. I don't drink coffee stuff the rest of the year.

Kevin said...

In the literal sense, nothing warms me more than a good polar fleece sweatshirt and a pair of thermal socks. These are everyday wear for me from about November until March. As far as warming my soul, the usual holiday things (friends, family and the overall sentiment of the season) serve me well. But there's something comforting about watching a decent snowing from the inside, with a good fire going and some mellow tunes playing. Of course, this particular comfort only lasts until the driveway needs shovelling. Perhaps I should be careful of what I wish.

Diane said...

Great picture, as always, Carmi!

What keeps me warm? Nowadays it's my new husband (we're newlyweds, after all). But seriously, he must have the fastest metabolism ever, because when my feet are blocks of ice, he sits barefoot. He's my own personal radiator.

And I'm very, very grateful to have him in my life (but of course, for more reasons than his warmth).

OldLady Of The Hills said...

I LOVE that picture, Carmi....really terrific! Right niw, where Iam we are gaving what is known as a 'Santa Ana'...it's a warm front accompinied by lovely Balmy nights and very very dry days and nights..WARM and to my way of thinking, BEAUTIFUL! They say it will be changing tomorrow, but I'm hoping they are wrong, as usual, and that we will have a few more days of this wonderful sweet weather...
That's what warms me, Weather Wise....What warms my heart: A loving kitty; a good dear friend to share the day and evening with and GREAT music, playing on the Stereo...(Does stereo date me?? I guess! lol )!

kenju said...

Memories, Carmi, memories keep me warm.

dena said...

Each season I buy myself a new throw. Something ultra-warm, ultra-cuddly, ultra-soft. The new blanket always makes me the winter season a little less bleak.

Anonymous said...

the sight of my toddler in footed pajamas, cuddling with my husband, chai lattes in my favorite mug, hearty stews cooked all day in the crockpot, and the glow of benevolence that comes with the holiday season.