Monday, November 07, 2005

Road trip

I took a little tour of the southwestern Ontario countryside today. Microsoft had a major product announcement in Toronto. So I left early in the morning and made the two-hour drive into the big city.

I had almost forgotten what it's like to drive in rush hour traffic. It's been almost nine years since we left Montreal, and in that time I've come to enjoy London's total lack of serious congestion. I forget what it's like to have to stay late at the office in a ridiculous attempt to avoid getting caught in the worst of it.

I was reminded of this as I got closer to Toronto's downtown and the zillions of cars swirled around me like angry bees in a hive. I was reminded again when a really big pickup driven by a really aggressive person cut me off and forced me to miss my exit. Technically, I could have made the exit. But that would have put the entire passenger side of the car at severe risk. I have plenty of insurance, but little desire to actually have to use it.

In the end, I made it to the event with plenty of time to spare. I met some incredible people, learned lots in the process, and even got called for an interview on the drive home. Yes, Mom, I pulled off the highway and did the chat thing from the gravel shoulder of a side road somewhere in the middle of farm country. Red Herring published the piece, Microsoft Updates Biz Products, later this evening.

As refreshingly different as this day outside the office was, my favorite part was pulling into our driveway at the end of the day and coming into the house. The rhythm of our family sounded especially welcoming as I put my stuff down and heard about everyone's day. When I spend any time away from home, I miss that homey sense every minute until my return.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

The Toronto traffic is difficult. I'm glad we now have the "Fast Ferry" to get to Toronto from Rochester. I haven't ridden on it yet, but I will the next time I go to Toronto.

I bet your family is as glad to see you as you are to see them.

buffi said...

Ugh. I hate traffic. Fortunately, Air Force towns are usually small ones, where a "traffic jam" is more than four cars waiting at the light.

My husband has talked about being at the Pentagon next which would mean DC traffic. No, thank you!

~Ivy said...

I hate driving in heavy traffic.. We get traffic here but the heaviest ive been in is Houston traffic.. helps living in a small town and I hardly go to the big city.. I never leave home long enough to miss it because the sounds that are at home they follow me where ever I go...(they are usually sitting in the backseat.LOL)
Ivy
www.ivytiedup.com
(not same url as blogger)

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Hi Carmi..
It was interesting to me to hear about the traffic coming in to Toronto..(It is a VERY long time since I've been in that beautiful city...at least it was beautiful then. (Is it still a great city?).
It sounds like you live pretty far away from any city! Lucky You! (lol)