Saturday, August 24, 2019

When dogs don't sleep

Waking the neighborhood
London, ON
August 2019
This photo originally shared on Instagram
Calli the Wonderschnauzer's perspectives on time tend to differ from mine rather significantly. For example, she's usually ready to explore the neighborhood at 6:03 a.m., whereas I am decidedly not.

Not that my preferences matter, anyway, because as you can see here, we're following her lead. But as I've said many times before, I'm thankful to have an excuse to get out there at all. Some blessings come wrapped in a contrarian wrapper.

Left to my own devices, I'd probably sleep through the spectacle of this part of the planet coming alive for the day.

But I'd miss the hushed quiet of a normally non-stop suburb. I'd miss the stillness in the air, and the softness of the early morning light. I'd miss crossing paths with the same cast of early-risers, like Lincoln the lab (who Calli seems to like) and Louie the terrier (who she certainly hates.) I'd miss one-sided conversations where I solve the mysteries of the universe as I plan out the day that will be. I'd miss quiet moments on the sidewalk, like the one you see here, where we simply stop and take it in.

On weekends, I can usually tuck back into bed when we return, and she'll happily curl up on/in my legs. But even if I can't, an extra mug or three of coffee or tea should be enough to offset the inevitable sleep deficit.

Some too-early wakeups are worth the fatigue. Hanging out with this little one always is.

#ldnont #london #ontario #canada #photography #Calli #CalliTheSchnauzer #dog #puppy #schnauzerlife #schnauzermini #schnauzerpuppy #schnauzersofinstagram #schnauzergram #schnauzers #dogsofinstagram #instapuppy #actofdog #pets #google #pixel2 #teampixel #photooftheday #instagood #nofilter #nofilterneeded #lifeinthemargins

No comments: