Thursday, February 06, 2020

Arsonists need not apply

There's mystery in these flames
Orlando, FL
January 2020
This photo originally shared on Instagram
You don’t have to be an arsonist to appreciate the fundamental beauty of fire. For the record, despite some questionable childhood moments, I am not an arsonist.

Definitions notwithstanding, I’ve been staring at flames in one way or another for much of my life, and my photo archives are dotted with pics - shot very carefully, often from far, far away - of fireplaces, fire pits, oven burners, candles, pilot lights, and anything else that burns or supports combustion.

Shooting open flame is always something of a crapshoot in that you squeeze the shutter and hope it’ll turn out. Even if you’ve dialed in the right settings for exposure and focus, the multicolored beast simply moves too fast for thoughtful composition. Press and pray is as close to a photographic strategy as you’re going to get here.

And so it was on the first day of the new decade, as I hung out with my fam jam beside a massive lake in Florida and waited for the fireworks to begin. Florida being Florida, the giant torch heaters had been lit, and they cast a warm, orange glow over the gathering crowd.

While we waited, I thought I’d warm up with some practice shots of the dancing flames. I didn’t count on being surprised, but sometimes the universe works in surprising ways.

Can you see it, too?

#orlando #florida #fla #road #trip #disney #disneyworld #waltdisneyworld #epcot #travel #travelphotography #travelgram #vacation #explore #fire #fireworks #mystery #zoom #photography #canon #canon_photography #canonphotography #photooftheday #instagood #nofilter #nofilterneeded #lifeinthemargins #family #everything

No comments: