Monday, February 03, 2020

Home, for some

Scene from a bus
London, ON
January 2020
This photo originally shared on Instagram
I took the city bus to work one day last week, and along the way I got it into my head that I should take a picture to remember the journey.

The bus passes through a neighborhood that’s seen its fair share of socioeconomic challenges, largely revolving around the public housing you see here. I shot quickly, smartphone pressed tightly against the filthy window, then tucked the device away before anyone noticed me.

London isn’t immune from the accelerating pressures pushing more and more of its citizens toward, and beyond, the margins. While the so-called haves have traditionally used geographic distance to lull themselves into believing the status quo is acceptable, it’s increasingly evident that hardship can no longer be hidden, that it isn’t something that happens exclusively to the so-called have-nots, in some other place.

Indeed, it touches us all. Everywhere.

You see more of it when someone else is driving, when you’re not at the wheel trying to keep the half-dozen distracted motorists around you from imprinting their vehcles’ logos into your sheetmetal. Or on your bike, trying to avoid becoming a hood ornament.

Maybe I should take the bus more often. I seem to learn more about our city when I do.

#ldnont #london #ontario #canada #random #urban #city #street #photography #limberlost #ltc #transit #google #pixel2 #teampixel #photooftheday #instagood #nofilter #nofilterneeded #lifeinthemargins #family #everything

No comments: