Sunday, April 12, 2020

Standing in the middle of an endless road

Follow the line
Middlesex County, ON
June 2012
This photo originally shared on Instagram
Crouching down over the centre line of a regional two-lane road probably isn't the smartest thing to do.

But this wasn't the first mildly questionable decision of my photographic life, and in the nearly 8 years since I took this, I'm reasonably sure I've made a few other somewhat idiotic decisions.

It was a perfectly lovely June day, and when I pointed my bike north of the city, I was looking for a couple of hours of alone time. Just me, the spinning pink machine, and the feeling you get when all is right with the world.

Eventually I stopped for a snack (cycling rule # 479: always bring snacks) and the road seemed to beg for a photo. So out came the camera (cycling rule #480: always take enough gear to grab a shot or two along the way) and soon enough I found myself standing in the middle of an otherwise empty road trying to figure out how to capture it.

Part of me was intrigued by the uneven paint job, a remnant perhaps of someone who simply couldn't be bothered to do any better. Or maybe it was the imperfectly rolling asphalt, a sign that nature always wins no matter who's at the wheel.

As I stood there and drank it in, some clouds started to roll through. As they unpredictably painted the landscape, I knew I had my shot.

That sun you see way down there? It's called hope. Never stop cranking, hard, down the endless road as you pursue it. The clouds may add some challenge to the journey, but still you've got to ride. We've all got to ride.

Eight years on, the truth of this photo and moment is more vivid than it's ever been. Even if I had to engage in some mild stupidity to uncover it.

#ldnont #london #ontario #canada #endless #road #trip #cyling #cyclist #life #texture #shadow #sun #country #landscape #photography #Nikon #nikonphotography #nikon_photography #dslr #zoom #photooftheday #instagood #nofilter #nofilterneeded #lifeinthemargins #family #everything

No comments: