Saturday, May 02, 2020

When life returns

A small act of natural defiance
London, ON
April 2020
This photo originally shared on Instagram
I found this little scene unfolding beside my house, a minor sliver of planetary dynamics playing out quite literally in front of my nose.

It's just a bud on the tip of an otherwise bare branch, the first sign that our unruly lilac bush is ready to paint the landscape purple for another too-brief arc of time.

Look around - this neighborhood, other neighborhoods, everywhere - and there are lots of branches, bushes, and trees waking up in similar fashion. Buds appear, seemingly out of nowhere, in no time at all.

This single bud is hardly unique, yet here I stand under a cold, grey, windy sky, thinking of ways to freeze the moment. Why?

I don't have a pat answer, for this photo or for any other subject that pops into my head as I go through the day-to-day paces of life.

Not every question even needs an answer, anyway. Maybe I just wanted this scene, on this day, in this place so close to home, to matter. To not slip into the past unnoticed.

Maybe we aren't doing enough remembering to begin with. Maybe pandemic life is trying to teach us to slow ourselves down and drink in what would otherwise be forgotten.

Maybe it's a journey that starts with a single, ordinary bud. Where it ends up - where WE end up - is anybody's guess, but I'm certain it will be anything but ordinary.

#ldnont #london #ontario #canada #random #nature #purple #lilac #branch #leaf #suburban #landscape #stilllife #photography #google #pixel2 #teampixel #photooftheday #instagood #nofilter #nofilterneeded #lifeinthemargins #family #everything

No comments: