Sunday, May 09, 2021

Schnu to the power of 4

So where's the treat you promised me?
London, ON
May 2021
This photo originally shared on Instagram


This little psycho celebrates her 4th birthday today.

That’s a slightly inaccurate statement, of course, because she has no clue how calendars work. So we’re the ones who celebrate while she wonders what all the fuss is about.

Which, on reflection, is a pretty good place for a dog to be, at the very centre of a family whose members adore her, where every day is worthy of some sort of celebration.

As much as it feels like we just brought her home, it’s equally true that we can’t imagine what life was ever like without her giant presence in it.

Time has a funny way of doing that, both moving fast and remaining frozen in place, depending on which lens we happen to be using to take it in. I’ll probably never figure out how that works, or why, but a little mystery isn’t necessarily a negative.

She randomly stars in my wife’s remote classes - Calli songs! - as well as the occasional live radio and TV interview. Squirrels, rabbits, birds and other wildlife happily torment her from the yard. I’m reasonably sure my hearing has been compromised along the way.

But I’d change nothing. I can’t quantify what she adds to the story of us, but I know it’s immense, and we are all different, better people because of her.

Every morning, she unrolls from her ball-like sleeping position, sits up, stares at me and whines until I relent. Soon enough, we’re walking the quiet streets of our neighborhood, her nose leading the way, the rest of her pulling every which way on the leash.

I’d rather be sleeping in, but I wouldn’t trade these walks for anything. Each one is an opportunity to see the morning before everyone else, to hang out with a being who doesn’t speak my language, but who understands me more intuitively than some people who do.

We’ve had four years of her. I’m selfish for never wanting it to end.

#ldnont #london #ontario #canada #calli #callitheschnauzer #birthday #dog #dogs #schnauzerpuppy #schnauzersofinstagram #schnauzergram #schnauzers #dogsofinstagram #instapuppy #photography #apple #iphone #shotoniphone #photooftheday #instagood #nofilter #nofilterneeded #lifeinthemargins #family #everything

Related:
Calli at 3, May 2020
Calli turns 1, May 2018

No comments: