Sunday, November 28, 2021

My Chanukah non-wish wish

The one where we look for light

Tonight is the first night of Chanukah, the Jewish festival of light.

Forgive me for not posting the requisite happy holiday message on my socials. I get why this has become a thing in the social media era, but it’s not me. Random wishes on a feed feel, I don’t know, insubstantial. There’s got to be more.

So here’s where I stand on this holiday. It’s all about light. About miracles of survival when logic dictates you probably shouldn’t. About prevailing despite it all. About believing in the underdog. About not bowing down to oppression.

Whatever your background and whatever you do or do not celebrate, I’d like to believe that we all share these common values, and then some. I’d like to believe that we’d all feel something by shining light into places where darkness once prevailed. By being better people to each other.

So even if you don’t celebrate this particular holiday - or maybe you do, yet you spell it a different way - please accept my invitation to go beyond the realm of the conventional holiday wish by sharing what you will be doing to shine the light and banish the darkness.

Your mission, then, is to leave an answer to this simple question: what’s the one thing you’ll be doing to be better to others?

Please leave a comment here, if you’re so inclined. I’ll start: I’ll call out unkindness when I see it rather than standing idly by.

Your turn. Go!

#ldnont #london #ontario #canada #chanukah #hannukah #howeveritisspelled #jewish #holiday #all #holidays #weareone #photography #apple #iPhone #iphone11 #shotoniphone #photooftheday #instagood #nofilter #nofilterneeded #lifeinthemargins #family #everything

No comments: