Saturday, November 06, 2021

Second look - the meta shot

Picture within a picture
London, ON
October 2021
This photo originally shared on Instagram


I have this funny habit, so please don’t laugh at me for sharing it. Here it is:

Whenever I take the camera-camera out for some optical playtime, I make a point of taking placeholder photos here and there with my iPhone, as well.

I’m under no illusion: the Nikon will outshoot the iPhone with ease. But it isn’t about quality or one camera beating another. I don’t like to talk much about equipment, anyway. Cameras don’t take pictures: people do.

Even so, the phone has some things my camera doesn’t. Like internet connectivity. And geolocation. And social media apps that let me share an early glimpse from pretty much anywhere. And a wickedly chunky Otterbox case that lets it survive my ineptitude.

I’ll take test shots on the phone, then set them up in the DSLR. Or I’ll do something fun with the camera-camera, then shoot a meta-type photo like this one. Because I want to remember the place and the process as much as I want to remember the photo. Maybe even more.

Like I said, it’s a funny habit, one among many I’ve picked up on this strange march I’ve been on, one that follows a very unconventional drummer.

If it means more tiny, memorable moments like this one, then I’m perfectly fine with that.

2/3 - more to come…

#ldnont #london #ontario #canada #medway #valley #forest #wood #bridge #tree #trees #leaf #leaves #autumn #thames #river #nature #naturephotography #landscape #landscapephotography #meta #photography #apple #iphone #shotoniphone #photooftheday #instagood #nofilter #nofilterneeded #lifeinthemargins

No comments: