Saturday, December 17, 2022

Canadian Tire Canadiana

More than just tires
London, ON
November 2022
This photo originally shared on Instagram


It’s hard to explain Canadian Tire to non-Canadians.

On the surface, it’s a chain of hardware stores.

But this is the Great White North, which means nothing is quite so simple. In fact, Canadian Tire isn’t just a hardware store in the same way that Tim Horton’s isn’t just a coffee shop.

(Or wasn’t. We’ll leave the decline of Tim’s for another day.)

Whatever. We still take our retail-cultural icons seriously, apparently.

So this particular Canadian Tire is in London, but all across this vast land, other stores just like it serve as ersatz community centres, beacons of activity in this vast, sparsely populated land. Whatever your lifestyle looks like, chances are you’ll find yourself here eventually.

So when I pull up to the ginormous store on the edge of town that bleeds light like an oasis into the massive parking lot around it, I slow myself down a bit to take it in. I may even take a strangely composed picture because I have a constant need to benignly entertain myself while running similarly benign errands.

Weird, I know. But I’ve convinced myself it’s infinitely better to see the seemingly mundane as special than it is to see it the other way around.

It’s how I roll.

#ldnont #london #ontario #canada #hydepark #canadiantire #random #retail #store #retailapocalypse #street #streetphotography #geometry #photography #apple #iphone #shotoniphone #photooftheday #instagood #nofilter #nofilterneeded

No comments: