Friday, December 30, 2022

Long grasses blowing in the wind

Bend but do not break
London, ON
September 2022
This photo originally shared on Instagram

I have a thing for wind-blown grasses.

Who am I kidding? Many things tickle my curiosity. But for some weird reason, I keep coming back to grasses.

They’re incredibly common. Hard to capture, too, especially when they’re dancing in the wind. More often than not, I end up with a softly focused mess of…well, I’m not sure.

But here’s the thing: instead of being reasons to trash the shot, the chaos and the imperfection are why they’re so fascinating in the first place.

Which is a weird thing for my brain to appreciate, because photography was always supposed to be about predictable subjects that were captured with a certain order and logic and sharpness.

And what’s left when you take all that away?

This. And an appreciation for why “supposed to” should be banished from any artist’s vocabulary.

As I suggested in yesterday’s entry, the only thing that matters is whether or not any of this makes us smile or think or both.

This does. So I’ll be hanging out in parking lots looking for more wild grasses. Don’t be shy if you happen across me.

#ldnont #london #ontario #canada #throwback #urban #city #streetphotography #grass #stilllife #monochrome #photography #canon #canonphotography #canon_photography #photooftheday #instagood #nofilter #nofilterneeded

No comments: