Thursday, April 04, 2024

Hope comes from the sky

Just wait it out
London, ON
April 2024
This photo originally shared on Instagram


It had been cloudy all day, with intermittent rain spitting from the steel-grey sky, whipped up by winds that whistled through even the most tightly drawn coat.

So I wasn’t hopeful we’d see much of a sunset.

Yet as evening approached, the skies began to clear just enough to make it interesting. Or at least worth a short wander to the nearby park. Just in case.

I asked my wife if she thought I should give it a try, and it wasn’t so much her yes that convinced me, but her tone, almost willing me to pick up the camera and go, simply with her voice. She gets me.

So soon enough I was on my way, not getting my hopes up, but still glad to be giving it a shot.

From the first photo as I arrived, I could feel it was the right call. There were just enough puffy clouds backdropped against a slowly clearing sky that it was hard to know where to look. Wide-open compositions to take it all in? Or tightly framed pics to zero in on the optical fire that seemed to backlight the treeline?

Maybe a bit of both.

I happily enjoyed the moment through glass, and shared a couple with her back home via text. Because I’m never alone, no matter where I might be.

Today’s photo is a quick test shot off of the smartphone. I’ll share more as I process them through my usual workflow.

Last night’s shoot taught me - or at least reinforced - a few key lessons:
  1. Always listen to your wife. She is wise in ways words cannot describe. And she gets me in ways no one else ever has or will.
  2. Special moments take many forms. Everyone’s talking about the upcoming eclipse because in some ways it’s a once-in-a-lifetime event. But sunrises and sunsets happen constantly. So do countless other everyday moments that don’t seem to merit global headlines. Doesn’t make them any less worthy, though.
  3. Never give up hope. The skies may look grey right now, but that can all change in a blink. Somehow, this doesn’t just apply to photography.
#ldnont #london #ontario #canada #sun #sunset #sky #clouds #cloudspotting #weather #wx #silhouette #forest #tree #trees #optimist #park #nature #naturephotography #landscape #landscapephotography #photography #apple #iphone #shotoniphone #photooftheday #instagood #nofilter #nofilterneeded


No comments: