Monday, December 27, 2004

Little guy, big beach

I took this picture seven years ago, during our first visit to Florida to visit my in-laws. Zach was three, and this was his first-ever exposure to a beach of any kind. At the time, I was struck by the contrast of little person, big beach and big ocean. No matter how overwhelmingly huge the scene that spread out in front of him was, he managed to scale it down - as kids always do - to a tiny little space defined by a towel and a few sand toys.

At the time, I fought back tears as I thought how sweet it was. I know it's not a guy thing to talk about tearing up, but it's something that just happens to me when I'm feeling happy or when I experience a poignant moment. It's good for the soul, and reminds me of what's really important.

To this day, every time I think my own world gets too big, too noisy, or simply too much, I think of my son's ability to blinker his world that day. Lessons from a three-year-old: such a thought!

Watch this space in the coming week or so for a stunningly similar picture of Zach's little brother, Noah, in a similar place, doing a remarkably similar thing. I teared up then, too.

---
Update from Jan. 1, 2005: I have posted the picture and accompanying story here. Comments are, as always, incredibly welcome.

6 comments:

Mellie Helen said...

Surveying the majesty of his realm, from the safety of his own little kingdom. What do three year olds secretly daydream of?...

Jamie said...

You have such a cool way of seeing things. I am glad you blog!

Anonymous said...

LazyVedaSays:
(http,vaza,blogspot,com)

Funny, Carmi. Without seeing the child's face, I can see the resemblance easily. (we won't discuss hats, or ways of wearing them, eh?) Haha!!

Actually, this is AWE-some. You always pick the right words for each shot as well. Another great match here. :)

Anonymous said...

Why is it that your photos are all red x's for me lately? Have I been banned from seeing them?

;)

But, seriously, why?

Amelia said...

Amazing when you look back... I so love to look at photos of my kids when they were younger. It does make me kinda teary...

Jill said...

Absolutely darling!