Friday, December 24, 2004

An ode to DSL

Not to sound elitist here, but after a few days of tending to my online presence through a dial-up connection, I have a newfound feeling of respect for anyone who maintains a site without the benefit of a DSL, cable, or other high-speed connection.

I never realized how heavily I rely on the big, fat pipe that runs into every computer I've got. Without it, I feel like I have to selectively choose what I do, when I do it, and how deeply I can dig before I have maxed out the phone line's ability to feed my research need.

Lots of bandwidth changes the way one works. I didn't realize it until I had it removed from my midst for a little while. Hmm, possible fodder for future writings, I believe.

End of elitist techno-whine. Without the generosity of my in-laws letting me disrupt their phone line ad infinitum, I'd be thoroughly disconnected. I'm thankful that I have any link at all to the world of writing that so sustains me.

5 comments:

Red said...

I am Oh So a fan of the DSL and or the Cable access for my computer!!!

Just wanted to wish you and yours a Merry Christmas!

Mellie Helen said...

While at my in laws' house over Thanksgiving, I was relegated to dial up. I was shocked and amazed in the remembrance that I, too, used to wait that long for connections, downloads, heck, just for a simple plain text page to load. Thoroughly spoiled am I now, with DSL and wi fi; and I hope never to face a dial up connection again.

"How you gonna keep 'em down on the farm once they've seen Pareee?"

DeAnn said...

You say "respect," I say "pity."

Just kidding. Kind of.

Rich Rosenthal II said...

There are a lot of people who are terriffied of learning the newwe technologies. I've heard people proudly say they dont even know how to turn a computer on and when faced with one they want everything set up to Icons on the desk top.

Anonymous said...

Actually, it sort of frightens me because it takes SO LONG to go anywhere, I can't possibly imagine someone having the attention span.