Thursday, September 29, 2005

Publish Day - Ink Blog - Cycling's future

I guess the high cost of gasoline is finally starting to hit home on all fronts. The city has announced it'll spend half a million dollars every year for the next five years on improving infrastructure for cyclists.

My take: it's a nice gesture, but it's not enough and it's long overdue. Even then, the middling support shown by some councillors is disappointing.

Cities everywhere are at a turning point in how they choose to help citizens get around. They can either be visionary or they can resort to the same old things that have gotten us into trouble in the first place.

I invited the councillor in question on a ride. Haven't heard from him yet. I remain hopeful that I will, but something tells me it'll take more pestering.

City officials should ‘pedal’ bicycle plan

Published Thursday, September 29, 2005

The London Free Press

Londoners should be proud that the city may finally take concrete steps to build infrastructure that actively encourages increased bicycle use.

On the heels of years of road construction that has consumed tens of millions of dollars to widen lanes and accommodate increased use of cars, the $2.5 million that has been recommended for bicycle-related spending over the next five years is nowhere near enough. But it's a start.

If we’re going to evolve our overwhelmingly car-centred culture to one that is more balanced, it’s going to cost us a lot more money and time.

Although I am saddened that committee chairperson Coun. Fred Tranquilli doubts the prudence of this investment, given our climate's four months of winter, I think he might change his mind if he joined me sometime on my own bike commute.

All journeys of significant change must begin with a single step – or pedal stroke. If the decision makers won't take the time to set the right example for the rest of us, who will?

-30-

No comments: