Saturday, May 27, 2006

The water's edge


Puget Sound, Seattle

Whenever I'm away from home, I try to remember everything I can about the places I've visited so that I can tell their stories when I get home. There's no way, of course, for me to capture every nuance of a city, and the packed schedule of a business trip often leaves me mere minutes in between appointments to grab whatever pictures and impressions I can. But a few snippets here and there can make the story come alive for the folks I leave behind.

If I find myself in a city by the water, I try to spend time on the shore to absorb the unique peace where the land ends. One of the things I like about Seattle is how it carries the vibrancy of its neighborhoods all the way to the water's edge. It's an immensely comfortable place to be, and it explains why this is such a desirable city for visitors and residents alike.

I took this image during a break during dinner. It had been spitting rain off and on, and I was hoping to get at least a few pics before heading home. It's the kind of scene I'd like my wife and kids to see in person sometime soon. I suspect they'd enjoy the peacefulness as much as I did that evening.

Your turn: Where's that bird going? (Please respond metaphorically, not literally.)

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a beautiful picture Carmi. I have a feeling that bird may just soar around a bit more to take in the view...fresh air hitting him in the face.

I'd love to go to Seattle...hopefully one day we'll take a trip out, maybe to Portland as well. Everything I hear about them both sounds lovely.

Sandy said...

Hmmm, that bird is going home. Not the brick and mortar home. The home that our hearts live in - our families, our world, our everything. Home. At least that's what I'm thinking right now as I help the little one deal with his father's latest trip.

kenju said...

I am thinking that the bird will continue to ride the thermals; happy to be alive and able to soar freely wherever he wants, and to go home at nightfall.

bhd said...

Well, that bird is headed right towards where I live on the Olympic Peninsula. So I have to say it's heading for a resting place, a safe haven, to wait for its next opportunity to feed and participate in the circle of Life.

Young Lady said...

Another great picture. I just recently started reading your blog. You are a good writer. My family is apart because of work too. Its very hard.

Mike said...

Another great picture Carmi. I don't think the bird is going anywhere in particular. He is just having a good time flying.

Here from Michele.

Anonymous said...

The bird is headed for blue sky and sunshine.

Michele sent me.

Anonymous said...

Hi Carmi..here from Michele...
That bird is soaring on his flight of adventure...to see places we will never see...to enjoy the beauty of the sky we see but cannot touch.

Anonymous said...

A beautiful picture.. one that 1,000 words could not describe. I think that the bird is flying towards that patch of sunlight that is piercing the clouds like a candle flame in a darkened room.

MsT said...

The bird is not concerned where he is headed, he is living in the moment, content to just be. Here tonight from Michele's (but I have you on my Blogroll!)

Anonymous said...

There are seagulls in downtown Montreal and who knows where they go? or why? It is a mystery to me. I'm sure where ever that bird goes, he will see things we could never imagine.

I'm headed out West this Summer, a little farther north like Vancouver. I hear "the sound" is quite beautiful.

peace
jeremy

Anonymous said...

Carmi, I'm sorry you were here for the rainy week; as I'm sure people told you, the week before was gloriously sunny and warm.

The active waterfronts and waterways are one of many things I love about Seattle.

Where's the bird going? Heading for that patch of sunlight... as would most Seattleites.

Tongue in Cheek Antiques said...

With her Ipod playing to: "Up up and Away," she continued her commute to the other side of the sunset. She was thinking how time flies, and with that the same ache arised; when was she going to slow down and create her nest...when?

Anonymous said...

The bird is on the journey, not wrapped up in the destination. Michele sent me this time. ;-)

Anonymous said...

I should have asked this, because we talked about it in class tonight...

Did you get any pictures of Mount Rainier?

only 5 miles from Puget Sound!

jeremy