Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Serial cereal


Mornings are far from my favorite time of day. If it were up to me, I'd stay in bed until long after the alarm clock stopped trying to outsnooze me. It's not that I don't enjoy waking up to a house filled with buzzing voices of folks who look shockingly like me. It's not that I don't appreciate hearing the flutter of feet on carpet before our kids fling themselves into bed with us in a happiness-filled drive to wake Mommy and Daddy up.

I simply like being in bed. It's all warm and cozy and safe, unlike the world that I'm going to have to face once I've finished with the cereal bowl.

And what about that cereal bowl? When I was a kid, we always got to have a sweet cereal alongside a plain one. So I'd mix Frosted Flakes and Rice Krispies, or Captain Crunch and Cheerios. Now that I'm supposedly grown up, I've become partial to oatmeal. I enjoy the ritual of boiling the water, then mixing in just the right amount of milk as I sit down for a first glimpse of the morning paper. It extends that feeling of comfort for just a few more minutes before I have to leave the house and kickstart my day.

But oatmeal doesn't shoot well. It's as visually interesting as, well, oatmeal. So I thought I'd haul out the Honeycomb box and try my hand at something reminiscent of my - and our kids' - childhood.

Your turn: What gets you out of the house in the morning?

17 comments:

kenju said...

Cereal for me too, Carmi, but I have to eat Fiber One, so I mix it with a cereal that has dried strawberries and blueberries in it, to make it more palatable.

If fat and cholesterol were not an issue, I'd eat scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, biscuits and jam every day! Or maybe eggs Benedict!!

jennypenny said...

Mmmm honeycombs. I have fond memories of them. Unfortunately they are not childhood ones. I took a long road trip very very hungover about a year ago and they were the only thing that saved me from throwing up. Lol too much information i know...

Jennifer said...

Um, if there were a fire, I'd probably get up and moving. Here lately, if I didn't have to take Rachel to school, I don't think I could get up. Perhaps I need vitamins?
I loved the picture of the Honeycomb. I loved that cereal as a kid...I need to see if my kids like it! :)

Ms Mac said...

Today, the threat of missing an international flight. Breakfast was on the back burner.

Anonymous said...

Answer: Knowing that my 4.5 year old son can't be late for school! I can be late for work... but he can't be late for school. (I drop him off at school then head to work.)

My friend... you're really making me miss Honey Combs, which are unavailable in Hong Kong! ARGH! Great pic... did you take that yourself?

Rene said...

I'm a Wheaties gal myself although I've been known to down Wheatabix at times.

Getting me out of the house is easy. I'm happy to leave if it means taking my kids to school. Or if there is a good sale at Target.

Thumper said...

Thumper doesn't do mornings... ;)

Anonymous said...

Yum -- Honeycombs! Gotta pick some up. For the kids, you know.

mattviews said...

This morning I indulged a blueberry muffin. Usually I'll have a bowl of granola with lowfat yogurt.

Young Lady said...

I used to be a Captain Crunch Kid, now I am a Corn Flakes Girl, not sure what I will eat when I grow up, maybe a Grape Nut Granny, lol. Awesome pic of the Honeycombs

kontan said...

coffee!!!!!

if I have breakfast it is usually a bagel. I do like cereal, especially honeycomb.

honestly, the only thing that gets me going is the fear of being late. the coffee is just a perk

Just a trumpet player said...

I am still a Froot Loops kind of gal !

Getting up in the morning is very easy for me. After 22 years of music making, I still feel like a kid in a candy store at the thought of holding a trumpet in my hands and making that pile of metal sound like the most delicate and prettiest thing ever.

Tracie Nall said...

Cereal is the best-especially Reese's Peanut Butter Cup, but anything sugary will do.

Oatmeal's great with a ton of brown sugar.

Here via Michele again!

OldLady Of The Hills said...

To answer your question...NOTHING! (lol)
Love the way this cereal looks Carmi!
Michele sent me back just now...Can't sleep? Sorry to hear that...Eat a little of this cereal! Maybe it will be just the comfort you need tonight.

Anonymous said...

I have a bad habit of skipping breakfast. But I was fond of Honeycomb as a kid--even if they did tear up the roof of my mouth. If I could eat sugary cereals now (and not have the weight, cavities, or elevated blood sugar to show for it), I'd eat Fruity Pebbles every. single. morning.

Anonymous said...

Hey Carmi, you might be interested in a place opening soon in downtown Toronto called 'The Cereal Bar'....www.thecerealbar.ca

Jennifer said...

what gets me out of the house? taking son #1 to school!

i love the honeycomb pix... this is the cereal i usually buy because it's the biggest box out there and also really cheap compared to other cereals! i love it! i could sit and eat it straight from the box.
awesome pix of it... they should use it in advertising!