Thursday, July 28, 2011

I am the walrus


Even mom would love this face
Quebec City, QC, July 2011
[Please click photo to embiggen]

This is my big*, new friend, a walrus I met at the Quebec Aquarium. It was a hot day, and he was busy alternating between swims in his pool and hanging out underneath the sprinkler - all to the delight of our kids. And if we're being honest, us, too.

It's hard to tell what he thought of the endless parade of strangers, all staring at him with smiles on their faces. I hope he somehow knows how much everyone loved him. Just because.

Your turn: Communicating with animals. Please discuss.

* Big. Thematic. Here.

5 comments:

Kalei's Best Friend said...

The way I communicate w/animals is no different than when I talk to 'people'.. Seriously, I talk to every pet I have had as if he/she was human... My gf had a Jack Russell and she treated 'roscoe' as her child, she didn't baby talk him but talked to him in a matter of fact tone.. The response she got was great.. he minded her.. I talk to my cat in the same way... Recently I came across two Engligh bull dogs who were looking for their home.. It was a scorchingly hot day and I only noticed them because of their 'boar' sounds they make.. They were thirsty as hell, and they followed me from house to house... No collar and no one recognized them... Later on, they must of hooked up w/their owners who I have never seen before.. I was soo tempted to 'jump' those owners for their stupid neglect in not having a collar on them!. Thought better of it since it appeared by the way they treated the dogs that it would not of done any good... Sad thing is, the dogs were innocent victims...

MorahMommy said...

We had so much fun that day. The walruses were so cute (if you can call those huge animals cute!) I loved how the three of them "argued" over the best place to drink water from the sprinkler.

Do they remind you of anyone or three? :D Maybe our own three walruses!?

xoxo

Kavi said...

We had a dog ! By the name Don. You didnt have to speak a word. he just knew, if you you were up or down !

and if you knew you were up, he was up and about !

Oh..they have a way, dont they !

Rachel said...

Reminds me of that Beatles song....

Beverly said...

Oh, I love that photo. "Just because" fits perfectly. It's been a long time since I did one of your themes, but I have one today.
http://beverlywhitcomb.blogspot.com/2011/07/big.html