Friday, July 22, 2011

Not the Michelin Man


Recycled
Ste-Anne-de-Bellevue, QC, July 2011
About this photo: We're sharing vacation photos all week long. You can, too: Just go here.
One of the neat things about parenthood is getting to watch your kids grow into fully formed people. It's not so much a size thing as it is a personality thing. While, yes, it is wonderful that they can now dress themselves, walk around under their own power and chat with us at eye-level, the real thrill comes from seeing them develop their own interests, tastes and voices.

On that front, our kids seem to be doing just fine. To wit, our daughter took this picture while were were walking on the long breakwater that juts into Lake of Two Mountains off of Montreal's western tip. She noticed the tire barrier first, and called me over as she lined up the shot. It's the kind of oddball scene that I'd shoot - only now she's noticing them first, and she's capturing them in ways I never would have imagined.

Cool how that works.

Your turn: How did you find your own voice?

4 comments:

Kalei's Best Friend said...

Kids are amazing! Mine amaze me not only in what they have accomplished but what is in their heart... empathy, altruism is something that my husband and I showed them (unconsciously) when they were little. One of mine amazed me when she was in jr. high, and broke down crying because she could not understand why people were prejudice and when I explained why, she still could not comprehend it... The subtle, unconscious teachings we did make one hell of an impact... I guess you can say my kids are my voice, whatever I may have influenced/or their dad has done, reflects in them.. Also reflects their own sense of self...

Kalei's Best Friend said...

oops!... Looks as tho your daughter has soaked in your eye for photography!. wow, does she realize the awesome pattern she has captured??? great angle, composition, simple lines--- from afar you wouldn't even think these were tires..nice basketweave pattern.. you definitely live on thru her..

Dawn said...

Apple doesn't fall far from the tree.....
Tell her it's a great capture and she has a wonderful eye!
My own voice???
I am just finding it now. And it's taken me 37 long years....

Stephen C. Sanders said...

Wow,I really sort of just stumbled onto this blog, I do not even know how or why. Great stuff, I too like to photograph everything!