Thursday, January 23, 2014

Clinging to life

Tentacles
London, ON
February 2012
For more grey-themed Thematic,
please click here
Ivy rules for a whole lot of reasons, chief among them its ability to survive and thrive under conditions that would probably kill any there life form. I've never owned a home that has ivy on it, so I can't speak to the downsides of it - I'm guessing bugs, mild and other nasties that thrive in the shade - but I think the benefits would outweigh the drawbacks.

Even if a few ladybugs get in the way, it's a worthwhile photographic subject. And on this cold winter's afternoon when I pointed my lens at a windswept brick wall, I found myself wondering about the magic of a seemingly simple plant that isn't so simple after all.

Your turn: What's the appeal of ivy?

Related links:

2 comments:

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

The extreme and prolonged cold we're having here (relative to the region, of course!) has me worried about the mountain laurels.

All their leaves are gone, which doesn't usually happen in the winter.

I guess we'll see in a few months...
~

Kalei's Best Friend said...

The appeal for me is that its free flowing.. it goes where it wants, looks for the sun and water... It doesn't seem to offend other plants, rocks, walls.. free flowing art.