Saturday, January 04, 2014

Ink from a busy pen

I learned long ago to avoid marrying myself to every word and every article that I write. One of the biggest mistakes writers can make is believing that everything they scribe is so precious that it should never be edited down.

So when I edit - both my work and the work of others - I tend to be a little ruthless. Okay, a very ruthless. And in the end, I'm guessing the finished, published work is better for it. At least that's what I've convinced myself.

Here's a sampling of some of my recently published work. I share it not necessarily because I expect y'all to read everything I write, but because the occasional summary reminds me where I've been journalistically, and where I'd like to go next. Hard to plot a path if you don't have a few visible milestones along the way, right?

Yahoo! Canada Finance
TheLoop.ca Consumer Blog
Bell Business Blog

3 comments:

rashbre said...

You have been busy!

I liked the Alicia Keys/Blackberry piece - the juxtaposition of tech and arts into a single story, plus the nots around the spiral of disenchantment after the honeymoon period. Wrong tweets, bongs and the like.

There's a good voice to a piece that can blend topics like that.

Best regards for a happy and enjoyable 2014.

carmilevy said...

Rashbre: Thanks! I always try to shake it up a bit, as I don't just want to write what everyone else is writing. If I take a somewhat different perspective, I figure I have a better chance of a) striking a nerve among readers and b) staying on an editor's radar for additional work.

Ifthethunderdontgetya: Best headline of the year (so far!) Rob Ford makes it almost too easy to get puny and funny, and I'm looking forward to the campaign for that reason alone. We're still evenly split here in London - about 2 hours west of Toronto - re. whether or not they'll actually vote him back in. Can't believe they'd be that stupid, but you never know.

Then again, our own mayor goes to trial May 26 for fraud, and he says he's going to run again this year, too. Sigh...

kenju said...

Carmi, you are the best internet writer/comment-leaver I know! Thanks for the lovely words this morning.
Happy New Year to you and your wonderful family.