Sunday, January 26, 2014

Who's up for a road trip?

Kiss my asphalt
401 Westbound, somewhere in Ontario
August 2013
Thematic. Greyish. Here.
I came along too late to really appreciate Jack Kerouac, and I'm guessing there isn't enough left of Route 66 for me to ever experience first-hand what this road - and roads like it - meant to the American psyche.

But I still get a twinge every time we load up the car and head somewhere. Even if it's the 730 km drive back to Montreal, it's a drive, an experience, an adventure. And if we take the time to drink it in a little, we might yet learn a little something - about our world, about ourselves, or both - along the way.

I think this pic summarizes that feeling rather nicely. It had been rainy for much of the trip, and the kids were quietly doing their own thing in back. I was in the front passenger seat trying to amuse myself with my iPad, and as ridiculous as I must have looked shooting random pictures with a tablet, it struck me as just the kind of thing to do when you're on a grand adventure with your family.

I hope they look back on these drives someday and smile as much as I do.

Your trip: How do you make road trips memorable?

3 comments:

Gilly said...

The start of a drive, or adventure, holiday whatever, is always exciting, especially when the road stretches invitingly in front of you! Even though my first reaction was 'Eeek! they are on the wrong side of the road!!'

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

My days of enjoying driving are long past (and never lasted that long, anywho).

In order to make it tolerable, I play music CDs.
~

Unknown said...

Carmi: Long before I came along, my Uncle actually fulfilled his dream of driving the entire Route 66 from Chicago to L.A. I've seen some of the Black and White photos where he built a camp fire off to the side of a road and made coffee with my Aunt and Cousin! This post reminded me of that event!!