Sunday, June 15, 2014

What about the other 364 days?

Today's been a really sweet day in a house that typically gets more than its fair share. This being Father's Day (I know, such a surprise), I was allowed to sleep in while some very quiet folks who share my last name fed the dog, walked the dog, gave the dog his insulin, kept him from barking (much) and made a breakfast I'm pretty sure I don't deserve.

Wonderful gifts weren't just handed over: they were artfully presented by kids who scripted a game show episode and had me answer a series of skill-testing questions before I was deemed worthy of opening the gift bag. Our youngest even dressed up in his suit to play the game show host.

Coming so soon on the heels of Mother's Day, which itself was just a heartbeat after Valentine's Day, this troika of Hallmark-built days always leaves me wondering.

Don't get me wrong: I love the sentiment. I love the excuse to stop what we're doing and just appreciate whatever it is that makes us, our families, our circles of friends, special. I love our ability to stop the everyday for even a few hours to celebrate folks who've played a central role in our journey. Whether it's a significant other, a mom or a dad, everyone deserves a moment to be recognized, honoured, cherished.

And yet, tomorrow's another day, too, one of 364 supposedly "other" days that stand between now and the next Father's Day. Largely thanks to practicality and fiscal priorities, there understandably won't be gifts, cards and quiet mornings of specially-prepared breakfasts. But that doesn't mean the folks who matter most don't deserve some kind of recognition and honour on every one of those days.

It could be a single flower from the supermarket on an otherwise grey Monday, just because. Or it could be a simple thank you for being there. Or an extra hug. Or a quick call or text. Or anything that lets you stop the everyday and mark the moment, even if that moment only lasts a few seconds. If you're lucky enough to have a mom or a dad or a significant other, by all means, go for it. But don't think it stops there: Anyone in your life who's influenced who you are and how you've evolved is fair game, too.

Hallmark doesn't need to be there to make a day special. And we shouldn't be saving it up until the calendar tells us. Every day matters, especially one of the other 364. Please don't wait to tell the folks who matter most.

But wait, there's more: This isn't the first time I've written about this. My 2011 post, On why Father's Day sucks for some, now ranks #3 on Google when you search for "father's day sucks." I know, you're so proud.

1 comment:

Margie said...

Great post.
We should never take those we love for granted.