Thursday, April 02, 2015

The view from the hot seat

Anchorman
London, ON
March 2015
Thematic. Please be seated. Here. Because you want to.
This is what it looks like from the seat in the studio at CTV London. I do most of my remote interviews from this place - known as the Windsor Studio - and in many ways this storied room with decades of television history quietly tucked into its darkened walls has become a very comforting place for me.

I'm pretty sure the first impression can be terrifying, as staring down the barrel of a camera broadcasting live to folks you don't even know can be intimidating. I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel a little nervous in the pit of my stomach before every interview.

But here's the thing: This entire studio is something of a home away from home for me. And the folks who work here are part of my extended family. I trust them implicitly to always do what it takes to make TV magic happen. The folks at the other end of the line are similarly incredible, and it always settles me down when they talk in my ear and walk me through a process that, even now, is insanely complex. I learn a lot about being a better person by hanging around the people I work with here.

Your turn: How do the people who surround you help you succeed?

1 comment:

21 Wits said...

That is one cool cup! I agree being with folks makes us better, otherwise we'd be empty and lost.