Thursday, October 22, 2020

Presidential portrait, 2020 version.

No dinner invitation for you. Ever.
London, ON
October 2020
This photo originally shared on Twitter


I rarely get political here, but I'll make an exception tonight.

As we watch the final U.S. presidential debate, I find myself closing my eyes so I can listen not only to the words of the candidates, but their tone. It's a journalist thing: When you interview people, you're not only trying to record what they're saying, but the context of what they're saying, where it comes from, what they mean beyond what they say.

Along the way, you learn a few things about the people behind the words. And the more I listen to Donald Trump, the more I realize how full of shit* this guy truly is.

Let's be honest here, folks: How can anyone listen to him for any appreciable amount of time and actually believe that he's telling the truth?

I'm reminded of the bullies who crossed my path during elementary and high school (and beyond, come to think of it.) They all shared his tone, that twang in their voice that spoke directly to my gut, that warned me to keep my antennae pointed in their direction even as they slowly faded into the distance behind me. I simply don't understand how anyone can lack that basic sense in adulthood.

And four years into this shitshow, I can't understand how after all this time anyone can still lack that ability. Now I know how 1930s Germany happened.

The photo may be a funny grab off our screen. The story behind it is anything but.

So get your shit together, America. Four years should be long enough for you to wake up to the fact that you've been conned.

* Sorry for the profanity. I never swear here. I'm making an exception this time because extraordinary times call for extraordinary measures.

No comments: