Monday, January 22, 2024

Reflections in the woods

Shelter from the storm
London, ON
January 2024
This photo originally shared on Instagram


I call them smartphone photo walks.

They’re simple things, really: leave the big camera at home. Bring only the phone in your pocket and see what you see.

Because a funny thing happens when the equipment list gets simplified. It ceases to be about the equipment at all.

So that’s how I find myself leaving the house in the middle of a snow squall. Dragging myself through the woods with a camera bag hanging off my back seems a little excessive and silly, anyway. Not every photo needs to be a major production.

At one point I stand beside the burbling brook deep in the valley and focus on an unusually calm stretch of water. Amid the blustery winds and drifting snow, the reflections of the forest seem to jump out at me with astonishing clarity and calmness.

Soon enough the daylight fades and it’s time to return home. I tuck the phone away and trudge back through the snow.

#ldnont #london #ontario #canada #medway #valley #heritage #forest #tree #trees #thames #river #water #reflection #weather #wx #onstorm #nature #naturephotography #landscape #landscapephotography #photography #apple #iphone #shotoniphone #photooftheday #instagood #nofilter #nofilterneeded

Related:

No comments: