Sunday, June 30, 2024

At the edge of the wheat field

Almost ready for harvest
London, ON
June 2024
This photo originally shared on Instagram


They say farmers feed cities, and that’s particularly obvious here in London, which sits in the middle of one of the most productive agricultural regions on the planet.

We live near the edge of town, so I could be hanging out with cows and horses just a few minutes after leaving home. In fact, I plan most of my bike rides that way, because cows and horses are delightful.

So is a wheat field. Or anything else that grows from the ground. So sometimes I’ll stop by the road and carefully step to the edge of the ditch for some bizarro photography.

As is often the case when I have a camera in my hand, the goal isn’t so much to capture a particular image. Rather, the image becomes the trigger for the experience that led to its capture.

And on a grey afternoon with cars whipping past me at near-triple-digit speeds, it occurred to me as I tried to avoid tumbling into a water-filled moat that this wasn’t going to be my best photographic day. In fact, maybe I need to be picking my spots a little more carefully.

But that wasn’t the point, anyway. I got out there and played with light for a bit. That alone made it worthwhile.

This picture? I’ll call it a bonus.

#ldnont #london #ontario #canada #nissouri #road #farm #wheat #nature #naturephotography #landscape #landscapephotography #street #streetphotography #nikon #nikonphotography #nikon_photography #photography

Related:
Leave the grass alone, January 2024
Bent but not broken, October 2023
Random straw poll, October 2023
The corn grows tall here, September 2021
Wheat, chaff and light, November 2006

No comments: