Sunday, June 16, 2024

On fatherhood. Every day.

Levys, the next generation
Dorval, QC
June 2019
This photo originally shared on Instagram


If life is little more than a series of interconnected choices, then the choice my lovely wife and I made to become parents easily ranks as our best.

I’ll never lay claim to being anywhere near the perfect or best father - in a world of imperfect humans, I wear my imperfection in so many ways. But if I’ve succeeded in ensuring our kids know how fiercely proud I am to be their dad, how I will both quietly and loudly be there for them as long as I am able, and how much satisfaction I derive from watching them thrive - and exceed me in the process - then we’ll call my fatherhood experience a successful one.

I’m lucky to have taken this parenthood journey alongside a woman who teaches me something new every day. She makes it easy for me to figure out what to do next, because more often than not I simply follow her lead.

I realize too many families don’t have roots this strong, and I hope ours kids know how lucky we all are. Those interconnected choices? We somehow made the right ones, and our days continue to be blessed because of it.

Tomorrow won’t be a Hallmark-defined day, but I’m sure we’ll all find some way to make it stand out as much as today. Maybe we’ll go on an adventure. Or maybe we’ll eat some leftover cake on either end of a FaceTime conference call. Or maybe we’ll sit quietly on the couch.

It can be anything, really. Whatever it is, it’ll add another chapter to the story of us.

And I hope it reminds us all how much it matters that we keep telling those everyday stories, and we keep ensuring those who parented us, and those we have helped raise in whatever capacity, appreciate who we’re connected to, and how much those connections matter.

#LiveLaughLevy #dorval #montreal #canada #throwback #fathersday #dad #dads #life #parenthood #family #everything

Related:
On being a Dad, June 2005

No comments: