Sunday, June 21, 2020

More than a Hallmark Day

Frasier and his buddies
London, ON
July 2008
This photo originally shared on Instagram
These three remarkable human beings made me a dad.

I wasn't always as adept within the role as I could have been, and more often than not stumbled my way through the process. I'm still not all that adept, and I still stumble. Often.

But my heart has always been in the right place, and at every turn I've had the best possible partner to learn from. I am the dad that I am because I was lucky enough to convince a remarkable woman to spend her life with me.

Never let it be said that doofuses like me can't somehow figure it all out.

Not a day goes by that I don't pinch myself at how lucky I've been to have been gifted these kids. And what a journey it's been because of my wife.

Not always linear. Or predictable. Or easy. But I wouldn't change a thing.

Why am I writing this today? The calendar says it's Father's Day. Anyone who knows me knows I'm no fan of Hallmark Holidays, or the strictly commercial sentiment behind them.

But today is a day in its own right. And anyone who knows me also knows I'm a fan of celebrating the everyday. Today is worthy, then, because it's another day. And we're all lucky enough to be here to soak it in.

What better way to do that than by staying close to those who matter most? We shouldn't need a calendar to remind us of this.

#ldnont #london #ontario #canada #throwback #live #laugh #love #levy #fathersday #parenthood #monochrome #photography #photooftheday #instagood #nofilter #nofilterneeded #lifeinthemargins #family #everything

No comments: