Friday, June 05, 2020

First light with my brightest light of all

Everything
London, ON
June 2020
This photo originally shared on Instagram
Astronomers have long defined “first light” as the first thing seen through a brand new instrument. The moment a telescope first comes to life is indeed a big deal, and over the centuries the term has been appropriated by photographers, as well.

Which brings us to this photo, the first light of my smartphone. I tend to wear out my technology, and my old one was getting a little tired. So our friendly delivery person brought me another one whose battery should last beyond lunch.

Since phone cameras continue to improve, and since they have become the primary tool of day-to-day photography for many of us, it makes sense to remember the first light photo.

I’ve been pointing my various lenses at my lovely wife, Debbie, for as long as I’ve known her, and she’s been first light for all the notable cameras I’ve had along the way. The sole exception? The mini hot dog pic I shot with my iPad.

My weirdness notwithstanding, she’s that rare person who’s as beautiful inside as out, and I love to see her through the viewfinder.

I’m looking forward to seeing what my new optical weapon can do. So many stories waiting to be told, but I’ll always look back to first light as the one that started it all. Which, given her role as the centre of my universe, makes perfect sense.

#ldnont #london #ontario #canada #firstlight #apple #iphone #iphone11 #shotoniphone #live #laugh #love #levy #photography #photooftheday #instagood #nofilter #nofilterneeded #lifeinthemargins #family #everything

No comments: