Monday, September 09, 2024

Jupiter comes to Earth

Colours of the almost night
London, ON
September 2024
This photo originally shared on Instagram


I’ve been going for late evening wanders with my camera again.

If the sky looks promising - some cloud, but not too much - I’ll hook Po the Teletubby up to the camera bag and head out to see what I can see.

It isn’t so much about the photography as it is about spending some quiet time alone doing nothing more than staring at the sky and trying to divine what may or may not happen next. It’s good exercise for the soul.

This time out, the photography turns out to be a bit of a bust. What looks like a precursor to some atmospheric theatrics when I first leave the house ends up fizzling into boringness in the time it takes me to walk the few blocks to my viewing spot beside a local park.

It happens. I get it. Doesn’t make me want to do this any less.

But as sunset time comes and goes, I stick around just in case something else pops into view. The sky is a wondrously complex thing, so you just never know.

To the west, nothing changes. I’m almost conditioned to only look west, to hone in on the same sliver above the horizon, so I accept that this night is a bust. Some great steps on my Garmin, but no decent pics.

Then I look over my shoulder, to the east, and my jaw drops.

The sun may have already disappeared below the horizon, but that hasn’t stopped it from putting on a bit of a light show - only this time in the high eastern sky.

I stand there, transfixed, as it dawns on me that I’ve literally never looked this way at this time. And it’s glorious. I regain my senses and start taking photos to remember what it feels like.

To be frank, the pixels don’t capture the full intensity - in my eyes or in my soul - but I still feel the need to share this one as a lesson to my future self to start looking in new directions, and to have the patience to keep looking long after everyone else would have already gone home.

#ldnont #london #ontario #canada #pink #salmon #sunset #cloudspotting #weather #wx #onstorm #optimistpark #naturephotography #landscapephotography #nikon #nikonphotography #nikon_photography #photography

Related:
Dragon in the sky, September 2024
Storm's coming, July 2013

No comments: