Thursday, September 05, 2024

Reflecting over a bicycle's wheel

Quarter turn
London, ON
August 2024
This photo originally shared on Instagram


32 minutes before sunset, I inexplicably park the bike on the sidewalk because I decide I like the look of the fading light.

Never mind I’ve only got 32 minutes of good light left and I still have lots of ground to cover before I get back home. Sometimes, that photographer’s itch makes us do stupid things.

As I shoot off a few abstract frames, swarms of bugs have their way with me in the sticky hot air of a classic southern Ontario summer’s evening. So I wrap it up and get back to pedalling.

Because I’m stubborn, I refuse to shorten the rest of the route, and am rewarded with a somewhat frightening and inadvisable ride through the forest in near-darkness. Sometimes the stupid decisions just keep on coming, don’t they?

And yet…

(I say that a lot.)

…I wouldn’t remember the ride as fondly if I hadn’t taken the break, hadn’t taken the time to smell the wildflowers, hadn’t taken the road less travelled. It would have been a ride like any other. Instead, it’ll remain burned in my brain as the one that made me nervous, that challenged me a little more than usual, that painted pictures I wouldn’t have otherwise gotten to see.

So maybe it wasn’t my stupidest decision on two wheels after all.

#ldnont #london #ontario #canada #cycling #cyclist #cycle #bicycle #bike #cyclinglife #bikelife #instabike #wheel #hydepark #goldenhour #sunset #apple #iphone #shotoniphone #photography

Related:
Wheel meets grass, August 2021
Tired old wheels, June 2020
Save Ferris, November 2019

No comments: