Thursday, September 12, 2024

27 and counting...


In my mind’s eye, I’m still holding her for the first time, a munchkin who was so tiny that I wondered where the rest of her had gone.

If I close my eyes, I can still feel her squirming in my arms, her perfect little face an echo of her beautiful mom. I leaned in and listened to her first soft cries, a sweet voice that’s shaped the soundtrack of our family ever since.

We first met her 27 years ago today, and between then and now she’s grown into an accomplished, brilliantly creative, endlessly empathetic, limitlessly impressive young woman, the kind of daughter any parent would be proud to call theirs, the kind of person anyone would want to know, and be lucky enough to call a friend.

I wish I could explain how time seems to travel so quickly when your kids are rushing toward adulthood, but there aren’t enough words in the world to do it justice. All I really know is she’s made each of the ensuing 27 years indelibly memorable for all of use who’ve made the journey alongside her. Her stamp on our family was and is as indelible as her spirit.

Between her last birthday and this one, she’s graduated, started her dream job, and moved to Toronto to be with her bashert. A lot of milestones in a year for a girl I named Peanut the first time I saw her on a sonogram screen.

She doubtless already has plans for her next year, and we’re the blessed parents who get to watch and revel in where she goes and how she gets there.

Happy birthday, Peanut. They say the best is yet to come - and they’re indeed right, but only because you work so relentlessly hard to make the magic happen.

#LiveLaughLevy #ldnont #london #ontario #canada #happy #birthday #birthdaygirl #happybirthday #parenthood #life #family #everything

Related:
Another great year, September 2023
No longer just a kid, September 2020
22 trips around the sun, September 2019
21 trips around the sun, September 2018
20 years of Peanut, September 2017
19 going on... September 2016
Sweet 16 and counting, September 2013
Peanut grows up, September 2011
Reflective birthday girl, September 2010
She grows up, September 2009
Eleventeen years old, September 2008
She hits double digits, September 2007
Peanut turns 8, September 2005

No comments: