Tuesday, September 17, 2024

Bar code subway station

Take a load off
Toronto, ON
September 2024
This photo originally shared on Instagram


I no longer live in a city with a subway. So when I visit one lucky enough to have underground mass transit - like Toronto - I feel the need to record the experience.

The strategy on this particular trip is a simple one: tuck myself off to the side near the doors - but not in anyone’s way, because that would be un-Canadian - and when the crowds clear after the doors open, move quickly to dead middle and shoot out toward the platform.

There’s something weirdly poetic about benches in subways, sacred little spaces where strangers in between here and there seek temporary rest before continuing their journey.

Countless stories play out here in the overlooked shadows, tiny interruptions in an otherwise endless flow of humanity.

Older stations in Toronto’s network often sport intricate signage within the tiles, a visceral connection to their mid-century origins, and a reminder that time moves in only one direction.

I know places like this aren’t designed for pauses or introspection. Which makes images like this even more worth taking.

At least that’s what I tell myself as I dance around the subway car amid the bemused stares of strangers.

#toronto #yyz #ontario #canada #ttc #subway #stclair #station #urban #city #transit #streetphotography #apple #iphone #shotoniphone #photography


No comments: