Monday, May 20, 2019

Sliding doors in a Toronto neighborhood

Bidirectional
Toronto, ON
May 2019
This photo originally shared on Instagram
We become creatures of habit, almost always without even realizing it's happening.

This weird little thought occurred to me last week as I was on my way to the office in Toronto. Of course, living in London means long commutes when I spend the day in the big city to the east - namely a couple of hours on a train, followed by a quick subway ride up Yonge Street.

Normally I exit the same station, and walk the same half-kilometre route that's now so familiar I could probably navigate it with my eyes closed. But this time was different. I suddenly found myself examining the neighborhood closely on Google Maps, wondering if perhaps there was another way to work.

There was: The next subway stop is virtually the same distance from the office. Except it's an outdoor station. And the walk takes me past a park instead of a dense pack of dusty buildings and construction zones.

It isn't an earth-shattering change, but any change is good for the soul. This time it involved seeing the same subway trains in a place and a context I never had. Next time? Who knows. But I promise you there will indeed be a next time. Because life is too short to spend it with our eyes closed.

#toronto #ontario #canada #downtown #subway #ttc #train #rosedale #station #commute #commuter #transit #landscape #building #travel #urban #photography #travelphotography #streetphotography #monochrome #google #pixel2 #teampixel #photooftheday #instagood #nofilter #nofilterneeded #lifeinthemargins #family #everythıng

No comments: