Thursday, May 30, 2019

Shooting from a speeding train

Barnyard find
Brantford, ON
May 2019
This photo originally shared on Instagram
The scene: I'm speeding home on the train after a day in the big city to the east, I spot threatening storms bubbling up far to our south. I've got the wrong camera for the job, the windows are covered in soot, and I'm moving at 150 km/h. Oh, and I'm being glared at by my seatmate. Probably not the best ingredients for a proper landscape shoot.

So I resist the little voice inside of me that says, "Do it." There will be other opportunities. Perhaps on another trip home. More clouds on the horizon. More forlorn barns. More storms barely-dodged on the way back to the fam.

But it bugs me. Because what happens if the next time the conditions aren't perfect, as well? What if I've got another dirty window? Another scowling train-neighbor? Another wrong camera for the job?

After a few minutes of quiet, defiant reflection, I crack a tiny smile as I reach back into my bag and pull the camera out. I can't control the conditions, or make them any better. But I can at least make the effort and see what happens.

As I raise my camera and wait for the speeding vista to line up just so, it occurs to me that my newfound shoot-despite-imperfection mantra isn't limited to photography. I'll let the guy next to me figure it out for himself. Because I'll be a little occupied for the next few minutes.

#toronto #yyz #ontario #canada #viarail #train #commute #commuter #transit #landscape #building #barn #farm #weather #wx #travel #photography #travelphotography #canon #canon_photography #canonphotography #photooftheday #instagood #nofilter #nofilterneeded #lifeinthemargins #family #everything

2 comments:

Tabor said...

I have gotten some great window shots from trains and buses. Like you, I feel imposing sometimes.

sage said...

I've shot a lot from trains over the years--but I will never forget the time on a train in Indonesia, when one of the attendants asked if I'd like the door to be open so I could shoot outside without dirty glass--I got some incredible shots! Of course, in the first world, that's not a railroad that would allow you to hang out the door and shoot. Good shot!

www.thepulpitandthepen.com