Saturday, January 29, 2005

Evergreen icicles

I made it out of the house today - first time since midweek. The cold air shocked my lungs a bit, but it felt good to be outside. I still feel like burying my head under a pillow for the next week or so, but the world doesn't seem to be slowing down to allow me to keep pace. So I'll pop a few more Advils and get on with it.

By the way, I noticed Advils look really cool close-up. Yes, that means a possible photo in this blog's near future. Poor you!

Actually, I was outside yesterday. I spent about 45 seconds on the porch taking the picture below. I was struck by the icicles that had almost covered part of the evergreen bush beside our front door. I know they're evergreen, but the color still seems so alien during winter. Especially so when it's mixed in with ice.

Like all things that are so transient - either due to temperature variations or the curiosity of our children - I knew they wouldn't last. So out I went.

As I stare at this, I can't help but think one of the formations near the bottom of the pick reminds me of Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer. Am I losing it here?

6 comments:

Willow said...

Excellence, again! Love the way the green "beneath" is also shiney, with ice. As for the Rudolf thing, if you're losin' it, so'm I! Funny! I'm glad you catch all these odd things in your photos, I never get so lucky. Thanks for sharing ...again! :)

Willow said...

(okay, who's got the trick of the easy way to sign out of blogger after commenting?)

Sharon said...

You are an excellent photographer. I also have difficulty catching these little details....I'm still boggled by the "wolf" picture.

Brrr! Stay warm, Carmi. Get better soon.

Joan said...

I see it! I see it!

I saw the wolf, too. Isn't that cool how nature gives us these little tidbits?

Rachel Dacus said...

Carmi, thanks for stopping by my site. I enjoyed looking around and reading some of your columns - especially the letter to Harry. I think you let him off lightly. And I do wish he had said something on the occasion of the 60th anniversary. Your icicle photo reminds me of Andy Goldsworthy. Do you know his work? I'd be happy to exchange books for review. I'll email you about swapping books to do reviews.

Best,
Rachel

DementedPhotographer said...

Oooh, cool shot! Bump your exposure up just a bit, maybe 12% max, then adjust your contrast appropriately and it's perfect!

Advil? Hmmmm ... with a macro lens? Go for it!

-G