Sunday, October 14, 2007

Caption This 40


Please name this photo [See below for details]
London, ON, October 2007


When our son had his green cast (click here and here for earlier photos/entries) replaced with an orange one, I thought we should remember the moment. The new cast is much lighter than the old one and can serve double duty as a runway marker at the airport. Unlike the casts of my youth, which were icky, heavy and (at least initially) white plaster, Zach's is made of a svelte, colorful fiberglass wrap. Of course, no one aspires to actually have a cast. But if you've got to have one, technology makes it a little less onerous these days.

But can you come up with a caption for this photo? Hope so...

Your turn: Click on the Comments link below and share a caption or seven. Zach's agreed to help me sift through the suggestions this week, and we'll jointly post the winner next week. So vote now, vote often, and have fun with it. New to Caption This? Click here for instructions.

About last week's image: A simple picture of a blue balloon prompted some incredibly funny suggestions. BreadBox took it with this winner: "Is it an innie? Or an outie? You be the judge!" I smiled for a while after reading it.

And since I'm really bad at picking just one, I wanted to share some other worthy mentions:
  • Gyrobo: "The Reproductive Cycle of the Common Balloon -- Part IV"
  • David: "Clara the face painting clown exhaled deeply into the large blue balloon, and then tied the knot, with herself inside! Quite a trick."
  • Susan Helene Gottfried: "Bellybuttons are people, too!"
  • Melissa: "Well, how long can you hold your breath?"
  • Shane: "Tijuana Breast Implant Surgery, 25 bucks. Cost of Implants, 50 cents. The expression of her soon-to-be-deflated ego, priceless."
  • Jessica Foster: "As he continued to travel over the tree tops, Winnie the Poo said, "Oh bother, perhaps this wasn't the best idea...."
  • Snaggle Tooth: "Any one got a pin?"
  • Sister AE: "A smurf belly-button, unretouched."
Have a good time with this week's Caption This. And thanks again for playing along!

One more thing: 60 years ago today, Chuck Yeager climbed into the X-1 and became the first person to break the sound barrier. Supersonic flight is one of those technological milestones that, like the invention of the integrated circuit, radio transmission and the internal combustion engine, is easy for us to overlook. But I can't help but think that moments like this, and the people with the brains and the guts to make them happen, change our world. And, by extension, us. Thanks, Mr. Yeager.

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, last year I had the horrendous white one!

Technology did not help me.

Long time, I was here so michele sent to me to check on your son. I like that shade!

Shephard said...

When Jamba the elephant sprained his trunk, the doctors wrapped it in cheery orange bandages, thus improving his mood and speed his recovery.

~S

craziequeen said...

Good morning Carmi - I couldn't resist coming over when I saw you had a new Caption This.....

see? I'm nothing if not persistent.

ok - Zach's new cast.....um....

'Pristine - the Orange One waits for ink and love'

cq

flleenie said...

"A new wave in contraceptives, the orange penis wrap..."

flleenie said...

"My God, look at the size of that carrot!"

Joel Reynolds said...

Orange you glad it's not a body cast?

Pretty lame, but that's all I've got!

Joel

Linda said...

The tightness of the jeans on his legs did not take away from the fact that they were ORANGE, thus, scaring most of the women away!

craziequeen said...

'You should see the other guy!'

Michele sent me this time, Carmi :-)

Did Zach keep his old cast? We always did in the old days.

cq

kenju said...

I'm laughing too hard at Fleenie's comment to write one of my own....
LOL

kenju said...

Michele sent me back, Carmi. Apparently she wants me to think of a caption! But I can't! :-/

Jean-Luc Picard said...

The Invisible Man decides to go for some colour with his bandages.

Michele sent me here.

November Rain said...

I have only had a white immobilizing cast you know the one you can take off

had it for my knee and for my wrist

michelle sent me

sister AE said...

You can't tell this is a slinky underneath the warm winter scarf.

craziequeen said...

OMIGOD......Michele sent me back to think of a new caption.......

[racks brains]

'Bruce repaired his broken boomerang with orange go-faster bandage......'

cq

Anonymous said...

Orange you glad I didn't say banana?

Sara said...

Hello, Michele sent me to say that I like the orange cast much better than the green one!

Hope Zach is doing much better...

Melody said...

Instead of Traffic cones, they now wrap arms and have humans stand-ins.

Here via Michele today Carmi, so hello from her and hello from me!!

utenzi said...

After wrapping and rewrapping, and wrapping once more, Effan decided he had the biggest hockey stick in all the North--and this season nobody was going to get a goal past him!

Michele sent me to see you and your son's orange leg, Carmi.

Sara said...

after throwing caution to the wind & breaking a bone, he is now the caution cone

Lara said...

"That's a wrap!"

yeah, yeah, so lame. but hey, it's my first time, so be gentle.

Anne said...

"uneven wrapping overlaps; -5 points"

Snaggle Tooth said...

I came here just to read n laugh about 20 times!

"All the Orange Anklets won't help the Red Sox Win tonight..."

Carola said...

"Orange you glad its soon to star in CastAway?"

Hahahahah all the orange jokes - funny...

Some good responses here today Carmi!

Rav

Anonymous said...

There are people with what is called a cast fetish that actually like to be in casts. If you don't believe me look it up. type cast fetish in google.