Saturday, October 17, 2020

Road trip scene from a dashboard

Visions of grey
Troy, OH
January 2020
This photo originally shared on Instagram


Do you divide your pictures into "befores" and "afters"? I'm starting to.

A before picture is anything taken before we all went into quarantine, before the pandemic rewrote the rules of day-to-day life, before we took the unlimited for granted.

An after picture is, as you can imagine, anything taken since.

I don't rank them against each other. I don't pine for the befores. They weren't categorically better than the afters. I simply perceive them differently now, as if my personal lens has shifted a little bit, and everything now takes on a slightly different tone.

Like this unassuming dashboard scene I captured in Troy, Ohio last January. We were on our way home, day 2 of a trip that took us from warm beaches to flannel and snow. At the time, it was simply a placeholder shot, one of countless scenes I snagged along the way in a clumsy attempt to tell the story of the road.

I never have time to think through these road trip pics, or to compose them with much care. Just grab them fast so we can get back to driving.

The flat grey tone reflected my mood that day, a little sad that our vacation was drawing to a close, but still happy to be together for a while in the car.

Looking back at it now, as a "before" shot, I appreciate moments like this even more, and look forward to making more of them as soon as we are able.

#troy #dayton #ohio #road #trip #travel #travelphotography #travelgram #vacation #explore #throwback #random #stranger #photography #google #pixel2 #teampixel #photooftheday #instagood #nofilter #nofilterneeded #lifeinthemargins #family #everything

No comments: