Sunday, November 01, 2020

Revisiting the mysterious flock

Treetop raiders
St. Thomas, ON
October 2020
This photo originally shared on Instagram


This photo may seem somewhat familiar, and there's a story behind it.

See, a little while back, I shared a hastily-grabbed photo of some birds flying over the forests near the St. Thomas Elevated Park.

They flew into view so quickly that I didn't have time to reconfigure the camera. I shot wildly and hoped something came out, using the old spray-and-pray technique beloved by hack photogs like me.

Miraculously, it wasn't a total washout. Sure, there's some trademark fuzziness amid the haphazard composition, but I liked them enough to hold onto them. And while the entire set won't make it into a gallery, I'm calling them good enough.

Remember those two words: good enough.

Because you don't have to be standing on a giant old railroad bridge for them to matter. Whatever you're doing, in any context, you, and the results of whatever it is that you're up to, are more than good enough.

You, like the somewhat fuzzy photo you see here, matter. And the stories that surround you are meaningful to many.

Don't allow others to determine the value of your photos. Or of your narrative. Or of you.

Please believe that. I wish I had learned this lesson sooner.

Besides, fuzziness is the new cool. And if you've read this far, I'm rather certain your fuzziness deserves to see the light of day. I hope you'll let us see it.

#stthomas #ldnont #london #ontario #canada #elevated #park #railway #train #bridge #landscape #autumn #fall #color #colors #bird #birds #blur #flight #photography #photography #Nikon #nikonphotography #nikon_photography #photooftheday #instagood #nofilter #nofilterneeded #lifeinthemargins #family #everything

Related: When birds dance in the sky, October 2020

No comments: