Wednesday, August 25, 2004

Publish Day - Olympic Thoughts

My latest missive was published in today's London Free Press. You can find the article here. I wrote it because I believe our perspective on sport has become rather warped. Specifically, those who criticize Olympic athletes for not bringing home a medal are the ones least likely to get off their own couches and actually participate.

The image of an increasingly sedentary society that refuses to appreciate the virtues of elite sports is one that has bothered me for some time. It is my hope that such people will read the article and see the opportunity to change themselves for the better. I realize, however, that the epidemic of obesity will not be so easily quelled.

4 comments:

Diane said...

Excellent article, Carmi.

You are so right, though. The "armchair quarterbacks" with beer in hand: "WE MUST BE ENTERTAINED," but we're too lazy to go out there and entertain ourselves with a little healthy exercise.

Anonymous said...

I loved your article as always. There is another blogger you might want to check out, the BBC has a great article about blogger Jonathan Crowe from Quebec who is writing about the Olympians who finish last. He is not making fun of them, but in his words "In fact, the point of the site essentially is to recognise the fact that even the worst finish at the Olympics is an order of magnitude better than anything the rest of us could do."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3600884.stm

Erin

Anonymous said...

From one column writer to another, great job!

Tara

carmilevy said...

Thanks! I very much appreciate your thoughts. You have all given me that much more incentive to swing for the fences next time out. And next time. And the next...