Monday, August 16, 2004

Small Stuff

I sat on the stairs earlier today and watched our kids play with my wife's father. He's the kind of grandfather who will clear his schedule when we're in town because, while his bridge-playing partners will still be there next week, his grandchildren won't be. It reminds me of my own maternal grandparents, whose lives revolved around us kids whenever we went to visit. It made me smile.

Looking back at the day, the kids didn't do anything earth-shattering. No big trips or presents. Just a quiet day hanging around with their Bubbie and Zayda.

We're often told to not sweat the small stuff. Interestingly, life is all about the small stuff. If we paid more attention to the little moments, maybe we'd all be just a little happier. While I quietly sat on the stairs, I was.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Isn't that the truth! Nothing warms my heart quite as much as watching my parents interact with my kids. Early last fall, I sat on the steps of my porch, much like you did, and watched my Dad patiently show my girls how to plant tulip bulbs. It was a brief, sweet moment but I'll never forget it!