Thursday, August 12, 2004

This Just In - Transfats Are Out

As an extended post script to my goldfish cracker column, the manufacturers have jumped on the "ban all trans fats" bandwagon.

Transfats, as you must know by now because civilized society would grind to a halt if we didn't prioritize their removal from all things edible, are the dietary equivalent of the root of all evil. According to the Bantransfat.com web site, they are singularly accountable for obesity in our children, poverty in Fiji, and the scourge of reality television across the broadcasting landscape.

So Pepperidge Farm jumped on the bandwagon earlier this year and announced they would be removing said black death-inducing poison from the entire line of Goldfish products.

We bought our first box of the new-and-improved (shudder), transfat-free Goldfish a couple of weeks back. Our kids hate 'em.

2 comments:

carmilevy said...

I hear you on that, OB, but I was being somewhat tongue-in-cheek both when I originally wrote the article and when I posted my thoughts to my blog. In some way, everything is potentially bad for us. Life is about arming ourselves with as much information as we feasibly can, then making the best decisions with what we know at the time.

I don't mean to sound like a fatalist, but above it all, life is a terminal, sexually-transmitted disease. So at some point, we have to get off the squeaky-clean bandwagon and just live a little. If that means I eat a heathen-inducing Oreo every once in a while, I won't be losing any sleep because of it.

If Oreos made up my entire diet and if I never exercised, I'd be concerned. But anyone who knows me knows how well I eat, and how much I exercise (I log more mileage on my bicycle than many people do in their cars.) So food's something of a rocket fuel for me: a little extra junk food mixed in there just for fun won't kill me.

Anonymous said...

I myself love transfat.... of course I weigh 419 lbs and growing by the day.. Also, my heart palpatates ever so nicely....

Ban Trans fat?? NO Increase them.. feed them to your kids.... give them to your cats.... give them to your parents... Yeah for pre-packaged foods.

Your friend,

Q