Friday, August 27, 2004

Reached Another One

As a writer, nothing pleases me more than hearing back from a reader. It still amazes me that that my mere words can prompt others to think, act, or even change. So imagine my pleasant surprise when I opened today's London Free Press, flipped to the Letters to the Editor page and saw this letter from a gentleman named Michael Cornell:

Pen pushers set ‘em up, knock ‘em down

I am disappointed at the tone of Steve Simmons’ front-page column, Woe Canada (Aug. 25).

Why should he be woeful when he and his fellow media pen pushers have elevated our athletes into semi-gods, leaving us mortal genuflectors in anticipation of nothing less than gold medals?

Our athletes have done nothing less than we could expect of them. They have united in peace with the youth of the world and they have performed to the best of their ability. Pray that the rest of us could perform in a similar manner in our more mundane day-to-day lives.

The column that should have been on the front page was Olympic victories go beyond medals. Instead, it was secreted to page A7, in the opinion pages.

Carmi levy should be complimented.


No comments: