Sunday, November 14, 2004

A child's playground

I took the kids to the playground this afternoon. Although the stated goal was for them to have fun and blow off some pent-up energy, I think the ultimate - and selfish, I admit - benefit was for me to reflect on their rapidly-changing lives.

As they happily danced from the slides to the swings to the climbing tower with the red gabled roof, I quietly sat on a nearby bench and tried to snap endless mental pictures so as not to forget precisely what I was feeling.

It was, after all, just yesterday (or at least it felt like it) that I snapped a (real) picture of a then-two-year-old Noah climbing the rope ladder all by himself. He refused any help, and I stood uselessly a few feet away, holding my hands in front of me just in case he stumbled backward. He didn't. So I grabbed my camera and snapped the scene.

Today, he clambered up that same rope without a second thought. He's four years-old now. He'll doubtless get even better at this particular skill until, someday, he'll decide the playground just isn't for him any more. I dread that day. I love watching him play. I love the innocence in his voice as he dances around the sand, as he chases his big sister up the ladder, then down the slide. I love the way he belly laughs as he serves me "ice cream" from the little nook beneath the climbing tower.

He's got a few years to go before he tires of this game. But this year is almost over. The late-afternoon sun was already setting as we prepared to head back to the house. We zipped up our jackets and buried our hands in our pockets to ward off the sudden chill in an absolutely clear day.

Just before we left the playground, I pointed our camera at the sand and tripped the shutter. Little footsteps brought into stark relief by a low-angled sun. A day ends. A season ends. I hope we have ample reasons to return in the coming years before unbridled childhood play gives way to the stresses of real life.

5 comments:

Joan said...

(Sigh!)

This makes me pine for the days that my nephew was still a tyke. Now he's 22 and knows everything.

I love him now, of course, but oh how I loved his little boy self when he would play with abandon and knew that Aunt Joanie would be there to catch him if he fell.

(Sigh!)

Amelia said...

What a wonderfully original way of capturing those special moments! I think I'll do that with my children too, except my man-child's foot will look like a dinosaur on the beach!!

Jef said...

What a beautiful idea.

It's funny, but I just got back from visiting some friends in Ottawa and their son looks very much like your son. Deja vu.

Anonymous said...

Just beautiful, Carmi.
Thanks for sharing.

carmilevy said...

Thanks, everyone. I am touched by your comments, and feel more motivated now than ever to continue to paint literary pictures of this type in future. Watch for more!

What can I say: you inspire me.