Friday, April 22, 2005

Publish Day - Of Chinese ThinkPads

I wrote this piece for Processor Magazine after IBM announced it was selling its PC operations to Lenovo, a Chinese manufacturing giant. I've got a bit of a soft spot for IBM's ThinkPad laptops, because I went through more of them in my insurance career than I care to admit. It was always a bit of a cool thing to get the latest and greatest model - not that staid old insurance companies ever bought leading edge, but whatever we got was better than what our cubicle-neighbors had, and that was all that mattered.

I shuttled ThinkPads to and from the office on the back oy my bike, and toted them on planes, trains and automobiles. I even accidentally dropped one down the subway stairs once. Eventually, it became a normal thing for me to have a black slab of technology wherever I went.

So I felt I had to write about the significance of this iconic brand. I hope every market always has a ThinkPad somewhere to give everyone else something to shoot for.

No comments: