Thursday, July 27, 2006

Going macro...


Macro photography intrigues me because you're never quite sure what you're looking at. Sure, you might have an idea, a notion, a general sense of the subject. But macro pictures often exclude just enough context to make the viewing a bit maddening for anyone who wasn't there when the picture was shot.

Come to think of it, the pictures are maddening to those who were around when the picture was shot. My wife can rhyme off countless times when everyone in the house had to remain absolutely still while I kept the shutter open for a ridiculously long exposure. Which is why I often do my shooting early in the morning. Or I use subjects that don't much mind the time and fuss needed to set up a given shot.

Your turn: I'm pretty sure this one's obvious. So I won't ask you to identify it (you can if you want to, of course.) Instead, how does this image make you feel? The art of photography is ultimately about feelings, so I'm curious as to whether this image evokes any in you.

16 comments:

HRH Courtney, Queen of Everything said...

I want to pet it. It looks soft and strokable.

Ms Mac said...

it's giving me an asthma attack.

kenju said...

I am pretty sure I would want to rub my face against it and pet it. Cat or dog?? Probably dog.

Anonymous said...

Just a random guess... is is a dog named Bailey?

carmilevy said...

Guilty as charged!

She's the only dog I know who lets me take pictures of her. She almost seems to know that when the camera comes out, it's time to pose. What a sweetie she is.

Anonymous said...

It gives me a feeling of calm, as I can see myself sitting quietly, petting a beloved animal.

Anonymous said...

Hi Carmi! Thanks for stopping by recently. Sorry I've be a stranger here. Great to see your increasing success careerwise. You're on TV now. Cool!

A for this specific post, I actually and posting a complaint. I think you caved in WAY too quickly, naming the mystery fur after only four comments.

I didn't even get to submit my guess: Unicorn

Sigh. :-)

Anonymous said...

It makes me want to go love on my dogs. ;-) Oh Michele sent me this morning.

Florence Forrest said...

I'm always interested in what an image of this sort evokes before I have identified it. In that split second I try to collect the sensations and distill them, especially on the digital surface. electrostatic wave came to mind in the instant before resolution.

Michele sent me, but I don't need an excuse for the visit really:)

Photominer said...

I can't afford the lens yet but I really like macro photography. I do what I can with my plain ol 14-45mm. Cool pic Carmi!

Anonymous said...

I quite like macro photography and had a little play at it last week in Mum's garden.

srp said...

You're right. I can look at a picture that makes me feel something all day. Some don't. This looks soft and thick and invites one to snuggle down and curl up with a good book. Pictures of fireplaces with roaring fire and red embers evokes the same response. I confess, I love winter.

Here from Michele again.

Unique Designs from Zazzle said...

it's sad, it reminds me of my cat weasel

Carli N. Wendell said...

the image reminds me of my cat, even though he is much darker, and currently I'm using him as a footrest. And your response on my blog re: black and white movies reminded me of a line from Gremlins 2, a very underrated sequel. Daniel Clamp, a Ted Turner/Donald Trump type, owns a cable network, and there's an announcement in his building: Tonight, on Clamp Cable Network: Casablanca. Now in full color. And with a happier ending!

Kiki said...

The image makes me feel soft. Like I want to rub it against my cheek and sleep on it. Thanks for that image.

Here via Michele.

Anonymous said...

A blue-tifull picture:))b